Eleven years later, the fiefdom of Hardenberg was owned by the von Bernsau family.
After 1570, Velbert, Neviges and Langenberg became Protestant; the first synod of Berg was held in Neviges in 1589.
In 1649 Johann Sigismund, the owner of Hardenberg, converted to Catholicism; the Annakirche (Anna's Church) was built in 1670 (replaced by the Klosterkirche St.
Mariä Empfängnis in 1728), and the Franciscans became influential in 1676.
Around 1050, Lady Adelheid donated the Hof zum Hof (Manor at Manor, a manor in Velbert) and the local church to the abbey.
In 1115, Earl Adolf II von Berg was vogt of the abbey.
Although there were no settlements in Velbert, Neviges or Langenberg during the Stone Age, seven types of neolithic stone tools have been found in the region.
In 875, Velbert was first mentioned as Feldbrahti and was ruled by the abbey at Werden.
Three years later, a new town hall was built and Velbert was connected to the German rail system. Four years later, Langenberg's first system for generating electric power began.In 1901, Langenberg received a new hospital and a gewerbliche Fortbildungsschule für Handwerker (industrial training school for artisans) was founded in Velbert.Two years later, a Realprogymnasium mit Realschule (middle and grammar school) was founded in Velbert. The following year, Velbert had 116 lock factories and foundries with 5,187 workers.In 1813 French rule ended, and two years later the grand duchy (including Velbert) became part of Prussia after the Congress of Vienna.In 1825 Emil Krummacher was priest of the Protestant community of Langenberg, and a Christian revival began.
He reformed municipal management, built a poorhouse and built a Sparkasse (savings bank) in 1852.